[78-L] My history of broadcasting course

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Mon Feb 3 15:34:54 PST 2014

On 2/3/2014 4:17 PM, David Lennick wrote:
> Not necessarily hits, but
>
> KISS HER BY WIRELESS..VINCENT LOPEZ
> MR. RADIO MAN..AL JOLSON (that one's about trying to communicate with the dead)
> TURN YOUR RADIO ON..various, revived in the 70s by Ray Stevens
> THE RADIO SONG..MR. & MRS. F. H. LACY (Gospel, c. 1927)
>
> dl

You can't forget "Static Strut."
It was penned by Phil Wall, pianist for the Paul Specht Orchestra in 1926
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sM1-Wz8GYI
Other bands did it, but Specht was the first.
Sylvester Ahola did the trumpet solo, imitating the sound of a spark
transmitter and morse code for "Q-R-N," short for "static is strong."
They actually did two versions, this one being the first and my favorite.

By the way, the Paul Specht's is often credited with being the first
band to play regularly on the radio.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr.

Technology...thoughtfully, responsibly.