[78-L] Problem with very high energy incorporated into remastered 78s

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Mon Feb 3 15:16:02 PST 2014

I agree with Royal Pemberton, the problem is with some ill-judged equalization.  I also find the files painful to listen to and there's no better word for the problem than "honking".  A DAW parametric equalizer should make a considerable improvement but don't use it to boost what you sense is missing, (highs or lows);  use it to remove the problem frequencies in the middle, between 500 hz and 900 hz, and use a lower "Q" value.

Good luck!
db

On Monday, February 3, 2014 6:13:18 PM, DAVID BURNHAM <burnhamd at rogers.com> wrote:

I agree with Royal Pemberton, the problem is with some ill-judged equalization.  I also find the files painful to listen to and there's no better word for the problem than "honking".  A DAW parametric equalizer should make a considerable improvement but don't use it to boost what you sense is missing, (highs or lows);  use it to remove the problem frequencies in the middle, between 500 hz and 900 hz, and use a lower "Q" value.

>Good luck!
>db
>

>On Monday, February 3, 2014 5:49:41 PM, Royal Pemberton <ampex354 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>Thanks for the links....I don't hear overload or 'brickwall' distortion but
>>I can sense a little dynamic range compression, and also there is a nagging
>>'honk' around 900-1000 Hz that a little effort made with a parametric EQ
>>would have smoothed out nicely.  I wonder if the latter quirk is what's
>>irritating you?
>>

>>On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 10:17 PM, Steve Shapiro <steveshapiro1 at juno.com>wrote:
>>

>>> Here you go.  These three happen to be acoustic, but there is the same
>>> problem with electrical recordings.
>>>
>>> Thanks./steve
>>>

>>> http://thewire.co.uk/audio/tracks/stream-tracks-from-to-what-strange-place_the-music-of-the-ottoman-american-diaspora_1916-1?SELECT%20*%20%20FROM%20request_redirect
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GizgyxGSrFs