[78-L] Victor Code record

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Feb 1 19:37:25 PST 2014

No, they are acoustical, using a code practice buzzer by the horn.  Many
of them had voice included.  The set on OKeh was credited to Jack Binns
who was a hero radio operator on the Republic when it sank in a
collision in Jan 1909.  I do not know if the voice is Binns or if he
only operated the code buzzer.

Edison himself made a recording of his code sending, which are just
clicks of a telegraph sounder.  I included it on the LP "Edison Speaks"
on Mark 56 Records.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com