[78-L] Bluebird 34-0721 Roosevelt Sykes

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 31 06:20:49 PST 2014

Joseph Scott wrote:
Incidentally, a family of "facts" that have been copied down through various books involve "I Wonder" on Gilt-Edge supposedly being important to the history of indie jump blues recording or the like. It's a sentimental ballad and not in blues form. Something like "Milton's Boogie" by Roy Milton is much more relevant to the prehistory of rock and roll that most of those books are more or less trying to discuss.
Joseph Scott>>>
Agreed; I do not get that. "I Wonder" was a song that did very well for Mr. Gant but I can't sense the slightest trace of R&B in it. I think what the original thought may have been was that its commercial success was something of a milestone for the type of small run label that released it, but as far as a widermusical context goes, that may have cropped up through a misunderstanding of the fact as established.
Uncle Dave Lewis
uncledavelewis at hotmail.com