[78-L] Pete Seeger: Good-Bye

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Jan 28 11:40:04 PST 2014

Amy Goodman's "Democracy Now!" program today played back most of the
interview she did with him in 2004 and ended with a few minutes of her
interview with him from four months ago.  It is an inspiring hour,
filled with a lot of his philosophy and extraordinarily detailed
information about the creation of many of his important songs.  He
explains how Dave Guard returned the copyright to him of "Where Have All
the Flowers Gone", and it would have been a good coupling with the story
about how he attempted to pay royalties of "Wimoweh" to Solomon Linda's
family, but that story was not included on this program.
http://www.segerfile.com/wimoweh.htm   Today's program and the other
interviews she has done with him are at democracynow.org  .

My daughter Leah saw him at the Feb 15, 2003 anti-war rally in New York
City where she was at the front of a crowd of nearly half a million
people.  Amy Goodman was the only one covering the rally -- all the
regular media were scared to cover something anti-war in that political
climate and pretended it wasn't happening -- and I can see Leah in the
crowd shots.  Seeger's choice of song was surreal:  "Somewhere Over the
Rainbow".  We both saw him at the memorial to Alan Lomax.  Other than
that I did not have a chance to see him perform live, although his
half-brother Mike came to Morehead quite often in the 80s and I made
recordings of him.  I first heard of him when my sister returned from
summer camp with "The Weavers At Carnegie Hall".  Her boyfriend had seen
a Seeger performance in the Berkshires and raved about him, and this was
the only album she could easily find in 1958.  Ironically he became an
NSA computer expert and is a flaming dittohead -- I doubt he ever
listened to the words of the songs.  But I DID.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com