[78-L] Milkman's Matinee

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jan 18 03:30:34 PST 2014

This morning the milkman rang the bell, and I went to answer it. I heard
him "singing" a phrase which reminded me of something. I remarked that
sounded like "Woody Woodpecker", which he remembered (he's older than me).

I decided to play it from the Jasmine Kay Kyser double CD JASCD 398. I
noted that it was recorded, along with "Slowboat To China", on 31
December 1947, just before the recording band came into effect. I don't
know how many other versions there were of it at the time, but it set me
thinking if they hadn't decided to record it that day, then history may
have turned out quite differently.

Kyser also managed to squeeze in a couple of other popular titles the
day before the first recording ban on 31 July 1942: "Praise The Lord And
Pass The Ammunition" and "Strip Polka".

Another thing I noted was that the personnel given for "Bell Bottom
Trousers" isn't one that includes the featured soloist, Herbie Haymer.

I dug Clyde Rogers's imitation of Jerry Colonna on "Horses Don't Bet On
People"!

      Julian Vein