[78-L] Transcription radio cowboys or songsters

Dennis Flannigan dennis.flannigan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 13:09:57 PST 2014

Over the years, I've mentioned finding 21, two sided radio transcriptions
by Arizona Joe, recorded in 1946 in Seattle, Washington. Arizona Joe turns
out to be, Robert Streepy, from Carbonado, Washington, He performed on
radio live and on these transcriptions, as well as live as a rodeo cowboy
performer. He was a singing navy recruiter in WWII, and there is a nice
photo of him in uniform with his guitar. His family told me Bob Crosby
offered him a postwar job singing with the Bobcats.

I've recently come across M. M. Cole transcriptions featuring previously
unknown to me similar singers; Cactus Slim, Chuck Mulkern, and others. My
question, after all this preamble, does anyone know country performers
besides Stucky who recorded their own transcription discs for sale or lease
to radio stations? Arizona Joe transcriptions were used along the west
coast, and perhaps Idaho and Montana. I've heard Bluegrass Roy
transcriptions, but they have sponsors, and and seem to be recorded by the
originating radio station or transcription service.

The British Archive of Country Music (BACM) plans a release of an Arizona
Joe CD, set for April 2014, and I'm looking to see of other such mostly
unknown performers produced their own discs.

Thank you,

Dennis Flannigan