[78-L] 78-L Digest, Vol 64, Issue 17

Doug Pomeroy audiofixer at verizon.net
Tue Jan 14 16:12:27 PST 2014

To play a record in reverse, you need, as was noted, to reorient the
arm and to re-mount the cartridge (this is not easy).

I agree it is the skating force, which causes a normally mounted cartridge
to wear the left groove wall (the one on the spindle side) more than the right
groove wall.

But I think this is only true when the disc in played in the conventional way,
from outside to inside, and if such a disc is played backwards, the tone
arm moves from inside to the outside, and I believe in this case the skating
force is impressed upon the opposite groove wall (the right one).

I experimented, years ago, with playing worn discs backwards, thinking
that this would to some extent avoid the longitudinal groove damage
caused on a disc which had been played over and over again in the same
direction. Reverse playing allows the stylus to track the groove modulation
from "behind" an area of damage rather than from "in front" of it, and I had
hoped this might reveal a less damaged section of the groove. However,
I found, as have others, that reverse playing offered no improvement.

Doug Pomeroy
Audio Restoration and Mastering Services
193 Baltic St
Brooklyn, NY  11201-6173
(718) 855-2650
audiofixer at verizon.net