[78-L] Record noises

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Tue Jan 14 10:20:50 PST 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: 78-l-bounces at klickitat.78online.com
[mailto:78-l-bounces at klickitat.78online.com] On Behalf Of David Lennick
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2014 11:28 PM
To: 78-L Mail List
Subject: Re: [78-L] Record Noises - Identify and Understand Cause

Before I had a wide range of styli, I used to transfer some discs with
tracking problems by applying pressure with my finger on the back end of the
tone arm.
The entire "Spellbound" album on ARA was done this way...and with stopping
and starting and splicing, since this was back in the tape days. I'd end up
with a pretty sore arm.

dl

After all those years of playing 78s and LPs  in their heyday, I never realized that a tone arm has feelings!

db