[78-L] Record Noises - Identify and Understand Cause

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 13 15:19:17 PST 2014

I'd heard or read that Anthony Griffith used this process, so make of it  what
you will. In looking for any online references I came across something else
that goes off this topic but is still interesting, namely defective recordings:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.music.classical/0OSUhbKMu0E

As it happens I transferred an album last night by Paul Hoffert, not yet the
rock musician but an aspiring jazz pianist. The title track, The Song Is You,
goes on for about 6 minutes and then the level drops rather quickly, you can
hear dropouts, and then the song fades out entirely..in mid-note. Obviously the
tape had gotten twisted or loused up and they couldn't salvage the rest of the
track (and didn't have a backup). I'm amazed that it was issued!

dl