[78-L] Green Grow the Lilacs

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Sun Jan 12 09:37:56 PST 2014

I found another version of it by Tony Kraber on his Keynote 78 rpm album "The Old Chisholm Trail" (Keynote 104), but that is the one record out of three in the album that I am missing. The liner notes give the same derivation of "gringo," which may or may not be true, but it's certainly an interesting story.

I find it interesting that there are no pre-WWII recordings of this song, in light of the fact that its life goes back a century before Ritter's version.

Incidentally, Ritter didn't sing the song in "Green Grow the Lilacs." He did sing four numbers, but not this one.

Cary