[78-L] Hamp's band advertised as integrated '50 (was Latin percussion)

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jan 9 15:16:27 PST 2014

On 09/01/14 21:02, Joe Scott wrote:
> How common was it to advertise that the band was integrated?
> Ogden [Utah] Standard-Examiner, 9/1/50: "Bob sez-let's end the season with a 'bang' so we got the biggest and the bestest bang in the country--none other than King of the Vibraharp Master of the Drums LIONEL HAMPTON and his SENSATIONAL ENTERTAINERS Curley Hammer-Sonny Parker Kitty Murry-Miss Glamour of 1950 Lorene "Betty Be Bop" Carter, Paul Higaki (Japanese Trombonist) Duke Garette-No. 1 Trumpet Man of the Year"
> Joseph Scott

I suppose that was a way of saying "non-black". I see for recording
purposes he was known as "Paul Lee"! Herbie Fields was with Hampton in
1944-5. Guitarist Chet Kruley was with Fletcher Henderson in 1944 (?).
Is sax player Charlie Frazier who recorded with King Oliver, the same
Charlie Frazier who recorded with Jimmy Dorsey?

      Julian Vein