[78-L] Olivier on HMV Copyright Questions

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Jan 9 05:18:30 PST 2014

The sound recordings are PD everywhere but the US, and the text is obviously
free, but Walton's music will be copyrighted everywhere. By the way, a little
known set of promotional discs issued to radio stations contains about 12
minutes of Walton's Hamlet music sans dialogue. White label discs numbered FM 1
through 4. This series later had J. Arthur Rank labels.

You'll find quieter pressings of Hamlet and Henry V on RCA Victor. Avoid the
12" lp as it's missing a lot of material.

dl