[78-L] Bird with Stringency

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jan 8 15:15:04 PST 2014

On 08/01/14 19:17, Eric Goldberg wrote:
> My friend Dave Uchitel played viola for a couple of years on the Bird with Strings club engagements in NYC. He never understood jazz at all, in fact he said of Bird "I hear he was great but he never played the same way twice" I guess all those winters with the Metropolitan Opera were the standard. Repetition (no pun intended) of repertoire was not an issue.
>

> Eric

Uchitel recorded many sessions with Tommy Dorsey and Harry James before
Bird. Surely he must've picked up some feeling for or understanding of
jazz with them? I would imagine the stuff he played with Bird he
could've done in his sleep.

That seems to be one area of research that hasn't been covered: string
players in swing bands, though I recall Teddy Blume was interviewed once.

      Julian Vein