[78-L] Sinatra and other singers and the 1942-1944 AFM ban

david.diehl at hensteeth.com david.diehl at hensteeth.com
Tue Dec 31 18:02:34 PST 2013

It seems counter-intuitive but the majors were not all that unhappy with the ban. Machinists and anyone with experience with electroplating could just about write their own tickets and these personnel problems were even more of a limiting factor than shellac shortages. Anybody with some sort of manufacturing experience could get a job with a defense contractor for pretty big money. Pressing plants were operating at maximum capacity given the high turnover in press operators. The only reason Decca caved in to the AFM was that it had the Oklahoma contract and knew it could promote the living daylights out of that one album and didn't really want anything else distracting buyers. Capitol picked up a couple of odds and ends but it had just about enough pre-ban material for the 14 month drought. Columbia at one point in 1943 announced that it was pressing NOTHING BUT Harry James records.
See Ty's site http://78discography.com/Capitol100.htm
DJD
Visit the Blue Pages: the Encyclopedic Guide to 78 RPM Party Records
http://www.hensteeth.com