[78-L] Reuss was Etri was Christian

Joe Scott joenscott at mail.com
Thu Dec 26 10:29:08 PST 2013

Here are some excerpts from Barnes' interview in Guitar Player 2/75:
"In 1935, I started recording with the top black blues artists of that time." That would be before, for instance, Zeke Campbell was recording on electric, but really it was 1938, after he was.

"At 16, I made my first record under my group's own name. We recorded 'I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles' and "I Can't Believe That You're in Love With Me," for Okeh records." That would be before Christian, but really it was two years later than that, after Christian.
Imo regionalism is usually overrated in understanding the growth of U.S. music. Playing like a jazz horn player on a guitar was something anyone who admired any jazz horn player -- or admired Lang or Django -- could take up, whether in Texas or New York or wherever, while hanging out with fiddlers or Bechet or whoever.
Joseph Scott