[78-L] Jazz myths [was Christian question]

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Dec 21 12:41:20 PST 2013

On 21/12/13 20:21, Joe Scott wrote:
> Do you mean he postured as a bopper? If so, I'd say about the opposite, he influenced the boppers and sounded like bop far more than he cared whether anyone thought he was a "bop" pianist (or any of his bands was a bop band).
> Joseph Scott

============================
I meant that Hines postured as a 1930s' modernist, not a bopper. His
playing also lacked the emotional element, so that his disciple Jess
Stacy's playing was that much more satisfying.

But we're getting away from the jazz myths thread, which was about
things that were demonstrably false.

Another one was that Armstrong's scat vocal on "Heebie Jeebies" was the
first on record. Don Redman's "My Papa Don't Two-time No Time" (1924)
was an earlier example. There may well be others.

Was Dicky Wells's "Dicky Wells Blues" the first example of a horn player
soloing from beginning to end without a break?

      Julian Vein