[78-L] 78-L Choral key question

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Dec 20 14:03:58 PST 2013

On 20/12/13 21:44, JD wrote:
>    > Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 09:53:26 +0000
>    > From: Julian Vein <julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk>
>    > Subject: Re: [78-L] Choral key question
>    > To: 78-L Mail List <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
>    > I have always been curious about when we burst into spontaneous song,
>    > how do we choose which note to start on? Two songs come to mind which
>    > present problems are "Memories of You" and "Dancing in the Dark" which,
>    > if you start too high, you're gonna run into trouble!
>    >
>    >      Julian Vein
>    >
>     Professional or experienced singers know what to do. It's part of knowing their craft and their "instrument."
>      Memories of you is a fairly rangy tune, an octave and a fifth (a fifteenth). Dancing in the Dark is more forgiving, an octave and a third (a tenth). Your comment reminds of Carl Reiner on the Carson show doing his parody of "Dark." He started to high, deliberately I like to think. Absolument un pissoir.
>      You omitted the most fun song of all, range-wise, "All the Things You Are." Try that for size. And if you venture into the bridge, you'd better bring your hip boots.
>      Cheers,
>      JD

I wasn't referring to professional singers, but bath singers. I think I
only have one vocal version of "All The Things You Are", by Kenny Hagood
(with Thelonious Monk). I'll give it a listen. Incidentally, Dick
Robertson has no trouble with "Memories Of You" (with Duke). Lee Wiley
wobbles a bit though.

      Julian Vein