[78-L] Reuss was Etri was Christian

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Dec 18 10:51:46 PST 2013

On 18/12/13 18:30, Joe Scott wrote:
> There's a nice Harry James CD on Jasmine called Meadowbrook Memories, two '44 shows. Unfortunately the two low points of the CD are Reuss trying to play "Steel Guitar Rag," imo. By '44 the field was crowded with very good lead electric guitarists such as Chuck Wayne, T-Bone Walker, Les Paul, Oscar Moore, Barney Kessel, Al Casey, Jimmy Wyble, Remo Palmieri, Teddy Walters, and Tiny Grimes.
>
> Joseph Scott

I was playing them this afternoon. I agree, Reuss seems to be going
through the motions. Incidentally, the later version seems to have a
superior arrangement. On the first one James seems to be thrashing out
in all directions.

Other fine electric guitarists of the period were Arv Garrison, Jimmy
Shirley and Irving Ashby.

      Julian Vein