[78-L] Followup To Tonearm/Cartridge Mismatch - Compliance Remedies?

beststuff4u at frontiernet.net beststuff4u at frontiernet.net
Wed Dec 18 10:31:11 PST 2013

Thanks to all who commented on my previous post. I definitely learned a great deal from your comments.

One thing I'm still confused about is that compliance ratings are assigned to cartridges, not to styli. If compliance is based on the rigidity of the stylus, why aren't the styli, instead of the cartridges, receiving the rating? Based on your comments I was able to find that a number of the Stanton 500 series cartridges can accept the same stylus, yet those cartridges compliance ratings vary from 10 to 20+. Wouldn't that change the resonance, which appears to be the main concern on selecting the appropriate cartridge,stylus combination?

Thank you.

Sherwin Cerini
Freezing in Rochester, NY