[78-L] Anyone recognize this tune?

Jack Raymond jraymond at alumni.princeton.edu
Sat Dec 14 12:45:50 PST 2013

Kurt Nauck wrote:
> I've received a request for a song
> that I've not heard before.
>
> The singer takes the numbers from one to ten and sings
> something like this:
>
> ?Well, here comes number nine, well it makes him
> feelin? fine?roll him over, bless his soul, and
> do it again.? Roll him oooooover in the
> clover?.roll him over, bless his soul, and do it
> again.?
>
> Any ideas?
It's apparently a sanitized version of a song that we GIs sang back in WW II.  It began like this --

Oh, this is Number One and the fun has just begun
Roll me over, lay me down, and do it again
Roll me over in the clover
Roll me over lay me down and do it again.

''' and so on.  Cute!

-- Jack Raymond