[78-L] Mat Mathews on Jubilee

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Tue Dec 3 11:02:40 PST 2013

Here is the answer I got from the UK Librarian,

The short answer is that KU does not own the Mat Mathews Quintet recording of either Poor Butterly or Massenet’s Elegie and, as far as I can tell, never has owned them.

Here’s the long answer (to the best of our ability to explain why the OCLC WorldCat records indicate that KU does own these recordings).  We think that OCLC (the creator of WorldCat) for the public version that’s freely available on the Web merged our holdings of another performance of both of these pieces onto the Mat Matthews Quintet record.  If you go back to the “real” WorldCat, the one that libraries subscribe to, you will see that both of these records do not indicate the KU owns them.  Our recording is Brunswick 10003 (classical, not jazz).

Sorry for the wild goose chase and good luck with your search.

George Gibbs
Music Librarian
University of Kansas Libraries

P.S.  I also searched the portion of our uncataloged backlog that is arranged by label and issue number and do not find the Jubilee recording.--George

Cary Ginell