[78-L] Canadian, American, like what's the difference eh?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Nov 5 21:43:57 PST 2013

Dardanella and Whispering might have been issued in Canada in their original
hit versions, but might just as likely have been covered by Canadian orchestras
instead....the Canadian operation of Victor did that a lot, figuring that it
was the song that sold, not the orchestra. Without access to my catalogues I
don't have the answer to that one, but it's a matter of record that the Victor
Talking Machine in the US was pretty cheesed off at Herbert Berliner for
ignoring their recordings unless they were by unique artists. This doesn't mean
that US Columbias and Victors weren't distributed in Canada by any means, and
Columbia had no such local recording programme up here.

dl