[78-L] Canadian, American, like what's the difference eh?

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 4 07:58:26 PST 2013

Did records like the Ben Selvin "Dardanella" and the Paul Whiteman "Whispering" ever have a Berliner Gram-o-phone pressing? The 1919-21 period was perhaps when the 216000 series was at its peak in terms of monthly issues and sales, and various writings on the subject have suggested that Victor was unhappy that so many of its issues were being ignored by Berliner in favour of the latter's own recordings of the same tunes, and that this contributed to Berliner's full absorption by Victor in 1924.

Prior to becoming exclusive to Victor in 1920, Billy Murray and Henry Burr had many sessions in Montreal--I wonder if their contracts with Victor were partly a reaction to them cutting masters for Victor's quasi-sibling/quasi-rival in Canada?

-HA