[78-L] This is a job for Mike Biel!

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Nov 2 12:49:19 PDT 2013

From: David Weiner <djwein at earthlink.net>
> An RCA pressing? Wonder who it was made for.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221293252857?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.
m1423.l2649              Dave Weiner

Spiderweb back plate makes it obvious, but it would be nice to see a
matrix number or other marking.  The master was a lacquer disc -- you
can see the driving pin hole at 3 o'clock in the label area.  The square
bolt that is holding the stamper made the rough square recessed center
in the label area.  I've seen this in other test pressings but I don't
remember or know specifically if they were all RCA pressings.  This Ruby
Red color vinyl was used at the end of the war and the years after.  I
don't know about 1941 -- this could be a pressing made later on.

A place I've seen that label area shape is in the Tv documentary a few
years ago about the Archive of Folk Culture and LC, they showed a disc
of Woody Guthrey that had the extra verse in This Land is Your Land, and
it had a center like this with a squared recess in the center.  They
also treated it with tender loving care like they were afraid to break
it.  They moved it from one building to the other on a PILLOW!!!  THEN
they played it wet.  If it were vinyl like this one. it wouldn't break
easily.  If it was shellac, it was RUINED by playing wet.  They also
made comments like it would have been a lacquer master with a glass
base, but it is OBVIOUSLY a pressing!!!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com