[78-L] Attention, fellow "fetishizers"

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Nov 1 15:15:36 PDT 2013

I used to refer to myself as an audio archeologist. A fetishizer sounds like
something you spray after a fetishist has left the room. (There was one
collector I dreaded driving..had to make sure my local service station had
given me a free air freshener with my oil change in time for our next
encounter. GLADE also works well and is a little more subtle.)

That said, I know what these groups are going through. I'm being paid an
insulting hourly rate to transfer a huge private collection of gospel 78s and
black labels..the label scanning and tagging takes as long as actually doing
the transfers (which are raw). But hey it's work. And you find the occasional
gem, like a 20s group whose harmonies sound like the choral sections in Porgy
and Bess..which is when you find that the group's leader and Porgy's choral
director were the same woman.

dl