[78-L] War of the Worlds broadcast [was Here's another even more oddball 78 album]

Elizabeth McLeod lizmcl at midcoast.com
Wed Oct 30 18:14:23 PDT 2013

What that figure doesn't include is that the majority of people who were
listening to Chase & Sanborn -- about 37 million according to Hooper, versus
about 6 million for Welles -- didn't tune out at all. They stayed with the
program all the way thru -- they didn't hear any part of the Welles program.

And if we accept Cantril's figures, 82 percent of the people who tuned into
Welles from some other program tuned into it from some program other than
Chase & Sanborn. That doesn't leave an awful lot of people out of the whole
audience who didn't like Dorothy Lamour. The common story is that the Chase
& Sanborn audience tuned out en masse at the twelve-minute mark, but neither
Cantril nor any other source actually supports that.

Elizabeth