[78-L] Here we go again...

Malcolm - Venerable Music malcolm at venerablemusic.com
Wed Oct 30 11:10:03 PDT 2013

I think his starting bid is pretty optimistic. It's the second time it's
been listed & no one went for it the first time at that price.
As far as Pattons go I think this one is fairly common (probably in the top
5) so I would be surprised to see it bring more than say 2k. Seriously, even
1 year ago no one was paying this kind of money for any records.
In fact, previous to 2013 I can only think of a few instances where ebay
records sold for more than 3k and only maybe only twice that records
exceeded 10k - one was a Willie Brown Champion signed by Son House & the
other was a record by the Georgia Pot Lickers (first known copy) that Rich
Nevins and Mark Blaesing tried to out do each other on (I think the 3rd bid
down was in the $2500 range). This year alone, it seems that I remember 3
selling for 10k plus.

Trust me, running an auction site I love that many records are steadily
increasing in value! At the moment though, I'm of the opinion that the
recent Bull market for Blues records is artificially inflated and there are
a lot of people who will try to take advantage of that. Again, no problem
there & I hope everyone can sell their records for great prices, but in
turn, buyers who are looking for wise investments should be cautious.

Malcolm in GA

Venerable Music - http://www.venerablemusic.com
Venerable Radio - http://www.venerableradio.com
78rpm Record Auctions - http://www.vmauctions.com