[78-L] 1938 War of the Worlds broadcast in excllent sound

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Oct 29 07:23:04 PDT 2013

Nelson Eddy was the star of the program and Don Ameche was the host.
When RHJ says his father said he was "listening to Nelson", he probably
was referring to the PROGRAM HEADLINER, not the content that was on the
air at the moment. Bergen and McCarthy were NOT the stars of the show.
Eddy opened the show with a song and was not the reason for the
tune-outs because the song was over at about 4 minutes into the show.
Then most of the cast did a conversational routine with Ameche,
including Bergen & McCarthy.  There was a dramatic sketch after that,
and this might have been the tuneout. Listen tomorrow at 8 when
YesterdayUSA.com will play both shows in sync on our two channels.

As for the dial spinning, after sunset almost all the independent
non-network stations were off the air.  About all that most people could
pick up were multiples of network affiliates.  Turn the dial and you
will hit several CBS stations with the drama.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com