[78-L] Sound Recording Collections Survey

William Vanden Dries wrvandendries at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 13:46:00 PDT 2013

Greetings!

(Apologies for cross-posting)

I am working on the design of an online tool to be used by individuals and
institutions possessing or researching sound recording collections.  The
tool is in direct response to a recommendation in a recently published
report by the Library of Congress, the National Recording Preservation
Plan.  The recommendation calls for a sound recording collections directory
that includes both private collectors' collections and institutional
organizations' collections.

I am a Master's student at the University of Texas at Austin's School of
Information.  In addition to meeting the recommendation of the report by
the Library of Congress, I am designing this tool for an independent study
course.

To better design the tool for use by individuals and institutions, I am
gathering information about each respective community and their sound
recording collections through a pair of surveys.  I received help
finalizing the surveys from members of the library, archive, private
collector, dealer, and information science communities.

The surveys can be taken online and will be open for responses until
November 11.  The links to access the two surveys are directly below.

Survey link for collectors:
https://utexas.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_bwlWlsL4TuSoLMF

Survey link for institutions:
https://utexas.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_eqyGBN6nFMMBh9r

If both surveys apply to you, there are no restrictions to prohibit you
from taking both.  Once you finish taking the first survey, a link will be
provided if you would like to take the second survey as well.  Or, you can
follow each link in this email to access the two surveys.

Many thanks in advance,

William R. Vanden Dries

MSIS Candidate, University of Texas at Austin School of Information
Chairman, Audio Preservation Fund
Graduate Research Assistant, Applied Research Laboratories
Student Technician, Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center