[78-L] Moonlight Serenade Q

David Weiner djwein at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 28 08:08:10 PDT 2013

Glenn's theme song had been kicking around since he wrote it in 1936. It
had several earlier names, like :Gone With the Dawn" and "Now I Lay Me
Down To Weep." RCA suggested the name when Glenn recorded "Sunrise
Serenade" in April 1939, it was thought that "Moonlight Serenade" on the
flip side would be a nice balance. Lyrics were soon added by Mitchell
Parish, who specialized in writing lyrics to pre-existing melodies, like
"Star Dust."

Dave Weiner