[78-L] Benny Goodman Trio plays for Fletcher Henderson Fund

David Jessup dgjessup at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 23 02:58:31 PDT 2013

I've trawled through early-1990s correspondence with Russ Connor to find what he told me about this release; that plus Ross Firestone's biography gives me this:

The record was sold "through the radio station," 2500 copies in toto, at $7.00. (This when LPs were retailing for $3.98 to $4.98). Low-numbered copies were sold at a higher price: $15.00. Thus you'll understand why those who bought the highest-price copies got upset when something they'd been led to believe would be an exclusive got public sale at retail about a year later.

I see copy #20 went through that big www auction site in the past couple weeks; was tempted but my budget forces me to stay with copy #1745.

All best - Dave

Thomas Stern

    Tue Oct 22 18:23:43 PDT 2013

Thanks David!
Wonder - what was the price of the MB-1000 issue, and was it sold in stores, mail, or some other market channel ????  Any idea how
many copies were manufactured or sold ???
Thanks!
Best wishes, Thomas.