[78-L] M-W discog listing

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Sat Oct 12 17:18:49 PDT 2013

Greetings from FixitLand!

Malcolm Rockwell wrote:

> Okay... I need a list of Montgomery-Ward issues 4910 - 5030 WITH side
> designations. Seems I remember such a list that was made up by a
> collector (Walter Allen?) in the 50s or 60s but I cannot seem to find it
> among my piles of old correspondence.
> Anyone have such a thing they'd like to share?

I don't have such a list handy, but I can report these from label scans:
(Following are Decca pressings, no M- prefix on the catalog numbers)

MW 4928 A		I'M DRIFTING BACK TO DREAMLAND
			HUTCHENS BROS.		Old Time Singin' [sic]

MW 4938 A		SILENT NIGHT—HOLY NIGHT
			CHAMPION SACRED QUARTETTE [sic]	Sacred Vocal
MW 4938 B	O' COME ALL YE FAITHFUL [sic]
			CHAMPION SACRED QUARTETTE [sic]	Sacred Vocal

MW 4959 B	HONEY STAY IN YOUR OWN BACK YARD
			(Kennet-Udall)
			JACK TURNER			Vocal

MW 4998 A		I'M IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE
			From Walter Wanger Production "Every Night At Eight"
			(McHugh-Fields)
			TED RUSSELL and his ORCHESTRA	FOX TROT

(Following are Victor pressings with M- prefix)

MW M–4970–B	NEW CURLY HEADED BABY
			J. E. Mainer's Mountaineers
			Singing by Zeke and Wade

MW M–4989–A	JUNGLE NIGHTS IN HARLEM–Fox Trot
			(Ellington)
			Duke Ellington and his Orchestra
MW M–4989–B	HOT FEET–Fox Trot
			(Jimmy McHugh-Dorothy Fields)
			Duke Ellington and his Orchestra
			with vocal refrain

I may have some others which require renaming so I know at a glance what they are. Problem with that is -- there are at least 13,000 such scans to be gone through and renamed. (I've been busy the last few years...!)

For MWs that are straight reissues from Victor or Bluebird, the MW side letters are usually (but not always!) the same as the Victor or Bluebird. When the MW is cross-coupled from two different original issues, all bets are off. Hope this is of some small help.

Take care,

—
Joe
—
Cats: I've got 'em right where they want me.