[78-L] Paramount Publix -what have I got?

Ron L'Herault lherault at verizon.net
Sat Oct 5 11:40:53 PDT 2013

I was given a pile of disks today.  Some are lacquers with multiple takes of
tunes - the one I've cleaned off is for "Pack Up Your Troubles in your Old
Kit Bag" with what looks like a 3-3-49 date on it and the word "Famous" hand
written with the date.  All are very dirty.  Many have blebs all over them.
Some have shrunken, crazed lacquer.  This is going to be an adventure for
sure.   One labeled disk is a Paramount Publix Corporation disk, white label
No. SC1-6.  Around the outside are 40 boxes and Times Played.   The disk is
pressed by RCA Victor Inc.   In the run out is a stamped "copyright 1931".
Scratched in is a start point arrow (inside start), the words "By The Light
Of The Silvery Moon, "  followed by PSc 1-6-1-1 and Take 1.   The other side
of the disk is pressed with large letters saying "VICTOR" and that saw tooth
design.   Soooo,  what do I have here?  It sounds like it could be a cartoon
sound track to me.

The disks were given to me by the son of an engineer who worked for RCA
Victor.  I think he said his dad started in the late 20s or early 30s.  He
also gave me an interesting early electric pick up, brass construction, lots
of solder on the joints, cylindrical steel (with maybe some lead in it?)
counterweight and a circular head with a needle holder that looks like the
one you see on Vitaphone pick-ups.

Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Ron L'Herault