[78-L] Coleman Hawkins on Sonora

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Sat Sep 28 06:27:24 PDT 2013

Jepsen lists only a single version of Bean, issued on Sonora, Esq (78 & EP) & Selmer.
Bruyninckx, in the 1980s paperback Swing dg, omits all 78s except the original.
However, he lists 2 takes for Bean, both on Sonora 3024 and -1 also on the Esq EP.
Pres. this EP take had been reported somewhere.
I doubt if Bruyninckx had any info about -1 on Sonora 78, and only assumed it had
to be om it as orig. issue.
Lord copied Bruyninckx, and evidently still never checked if there was additional info in Jepsen.

Sonora 3024-B shows mx 1858-2 on label & in wax.
If -1 was on Sonora, it was a mispressing.
My guess would be that Bruyninckx invented -1 on Sonora, and that Esquire got a
stamper or test of unissued -1, pres. by error.
Does the EP state it is (unissued) -1 ?

Bean was also issued on Esq 10-132 (78). Only mx, no take, printed on label.
Is this 78 also -1 ??

han enderman
===
>>> Coleman Hawkins And His Orchestra:

Fats Navarro (tp) J.J. Johnson (tb) Porter Kilbert (as) Coleman Hawkins
(ts) Hank Jones (p) Milt Jackson (vib) Curly Russell (b) Max Roach (d)

New York, December, 1946

SR1858-1Bean and the boysSonora 3024, Esquire (E)EP192

SR1858-2Bean and the boys (*)-, Neatwork (Au)RP2014 [CD]

Also on Prestige PR7824 , Milestone 47015, Prestige PCD24124-2 [CD].

I have these titles on CD Prestige PRCD24124 2. In the notes, reprinted
from Prestige 7824, Dan Morgenstern, in referring to "Bean and the boys"
says that take -1 was previously unissued and unknown until producer Don
Schlitten discovered it.

However, take -1 had been issued many years before on Esquire EP 192
(which I have), correctly shown in Lord 10.0 shown above. It may have
also have been issued on Sonora.

Take -1 is the inferior take, as noted by Morgenstern. Both takes may
well have been issued on Sonora 78 at the time, but Schlitten and
Morgenstern were both wrong to describe it as unissued and unknown.
Perhaps they both got the take numbers mixed up?

Neatwork usually issue obscure takes, but in this case it was the
superior take.

Julian Vein
<<<