[78-L] Follow-Up Songs

Ray Kilcoyne kil at roadrunner.com
Thu Sep 26 14:41:00 PDT 2013

That reminds me, Marty Robbins wrote and recorded two sequels to El Paso.
Over 17 minutes of music, total.
EL PASO - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIHRgisdbeY
EL PASO CITY - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBorFypGsBs
FELEENA (FELINA) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryzIX09s2o4
RayK

From: Cary Ginell
This reminds me of a routine Johnny Bond did at one time in a recording with
Cowboy Copas for Starday. The gimmick is that they're sitting around,
playing guitar duets. Bond starts off by playing "I'm Thinking Tonight of My
Blue Eyes." Then Copas picks "The Wild Side of Life." Bond's turn comes and
he selects "The Great Speckle Bird." Then Copas does "I Didn't Know God Made
Honky Tonk Angels." The gag is that all four songs - big hit songs for the
Carter Family, Hank Thompson, Roy Acuff, and Kitty Wells ALL had the same
melody. The payoff comes when they decide to make up a song on the spot and
both play the same melody again. Copas says it's a great melody and asks
Bond what he was going to call it. "I don't know, I can't think of a title,"
Bond dryly says.

Here's the routine - sorry that it's on a cassette from YouTube. I'm too
lazy to dub it from my copy of the LP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJFn1pI1mGY