[78-L] Trip to Springfield, Illinois

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Wed Sep 25 19:27:58 PDT 2013

While on a trip to Springfield, Illinois last week, I spotted a record
shop and was able to part with my wife long enough to have a good look
around. They were very much in tune with a vinyl comeback, with the a
nice selection of used audio equipment on the first floor: speakers,
amps, phonos. Their LP assortment was not the greatest. Upstairs were
some 78's very much neglected. But someone must have had an interest in
comedy records. There were may of them, all in generic cardboard albums.
That one was called "Recycled Records, Inc" and was at 625 E. Adams St.

Up on the old square is a book store. If you're into books, it's a
paradise, an old department store sized storefront filled to the rafters
with tomes. I was told there were a few records, "way in the back". The
told me "no 78's". They must not have been back there for a while,
because I did find a few in a tatty box way in one corner. Nothing
interesting.

I was just about to walk out when I took one last look behind me and on
a lower shelf I was a small pile of 16" transcriptions. I bought 2 of
them and here they are:
American Forces Network Recording (Black Block Lettering on all white
background)
Hand written,
3017 (in crayon)
File: 1 of 2 Date July 19, '45
ETO Hit Parade
1 Blue Blazes
2 Laura
3 Dreams
4 Sentimental Journey (J. Power)
5 Don't Fence Me In
1-23-59
Vanhove (?)
94
E.T.O. - U.S. Army (Smaller block lettering)

Other side
19 July
ETO Hit Parade (typed)
3017 (crayon)
Part 1 of 2

The record is in good condition, but has a white haze

The second record has a white label with the orange and blue AFRS label.
It is marked "Jubilee" program # 204, Jan 31, 1947.
I found that one online and was able to download it.

I think the first one is an acetate.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr.

Technology...thoughtfully, responsibly.