[78-L] Inquiry: Demise of the 10" Long Play

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Sep 25 08:35:46 PDT 2013

On 25/09/13 16:26, David Lennick wrote:
> The things were too easy to shoplift, according to one story I remember seeing
> ages ago. 1957 sticks in my mind as when black diamonds were appearing
> throughout the Schwann catalogs (so there's your printed source).
>
> dl
As far as jazz issues were concerned 1956 seems to have seen the
changover, when labels like Blue Note, Prestige and Savoy were reissuing
their 10-inchers, sometimes doubling-up or augmenting them with new
recordings.

The 1956 Downbeat record review book (another printed source) seems to
consist almost exclusively of 12"ers.

       Julian Vein