[78-L] Stylus for RCA Home Recording Disc

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Sep 7 18:18:42 PDT 2013

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [78-L] Stylus for RCA Home Recording Disc
From: "Ron L'Herault" <lherault at bu.edu>

> I've done a few. I'm pretty sure they were cut rather
> than embossed so the smaller stylus should be fine. Ron L

If you are discussing the pre-grooved RCA Home Recording discs could not
be cut.  It could not be done because a cutting stylus cuts its own
groove.  The pre-groove system used a broad blunt round-point needle to
spread out (emboss) the top of the pre-groove walls.  The sound is only
up there at the TOP of the groove wall.  A regular playback stylus will
hit the groove wall well below the recording.

On the other hand, the soldier letters records are cut and are played
like ordinary lacquers.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com