[78-L] Alfredo Mendez Orch on NYC latin label

Thomas Stern sternth at attglobal.net
Mon Sep 2 12:05:58 PDT 2013

search google, worldcat

there seem to be a number of SMC and STANDARD 78's

NY Post advert for DOME  Aug 30 1947
http://fultonhistory.com/newspaper%2011/New%20York%20Evening%20Post/New%20York%20NY%20Evening%20Post%201947%20Grayscale/New%20York
%20NY%20Evening%20Post%201947%20a%20Grayscale%20-%200139.pdf

Also as an organist see: http://artworkbymanicmark.blogspot.com/2011/03/fiesta-for-pipe-organ-alfredo-mendez.html

Fiesta For Pipe Organ
Alfredo Mendez
RCA Victor LPM-1444
1957

The last type of "Latin" album I expected to run across was one featuring the pipe organ. But here you have it! I'm a big fan of
Korla Pandit, who played the organ in more of a "percussion style". Few artists, that I know of, played this way. I might have
expected to hear "Latin" like this from him.  In fact, Pandit covered one tune on this album, Espana Cana.

There is slim mention of Mendez online. He played on a Three Suns album, The Things I Love In Hi-Fi. There is very little to go
on. Jacket notes indicate that he was "friends" with Ernesto Lecuona, a noted Cuban composer who helped "develop Mendez' feelings
for tropical music".

There is also one interesting note about the Mendez writing a concerto for the pipe organ and the sounds of space and motion.
"Unique? Imagine if you will, a pipe organ accompanied by vacuum cleaners, blenders, air conditioners, and other appliances!"

Hmmm... I wonder if there was a recording made of that piece of music?!!

The sample, Sway, is a much recorded tune written by Pablo Beltran Ruiz and made famous by Dean Martin in 1954.

Info about downloads and my blog. Posted by By Mark Betcher at 7:35 AM