[78-L] Cab Calloway and 58 years.

OKIN EARL spats47 at ntlworld.com
Sun Sep 1 06:41:49 PDT 2013

Hi!

My late friend, Adelaide Hall, recorded in 1927 and was still performing in
public into her 90s, which means after 1991. There's a TV show of her in
1989 and probably recordings after that.

Then again, her first boss, Eubie Blake, composed Charleston Rag in 1899,
recording it in 1921 and again in 1971. He performed regularly until his
premature death in 1983 when he was just over 100yo. He wasn't known as a
singer, though.

However, I am! I recorded a 78rpm record for the BBC in 1959 and my best
years are still to come! I recorded in the studio a couple of weeks ago.
So, far that's just 54 years, but I'm catching up!

Incidentally, I'm expecting Cab Calloway's niece round for coffee today!

Earl Okin.