[78-L] 58 years of Cab, beat that

Koen Kamphuijs & Gusta Harderwijk koen at koenkamphuijs.nl
Sun Sep 1 05:07:32 PDT 2013

Seventy years in music business: Alberta Hunter, though not all the
time.  She started in the lowest of Chicago clubs in 1914 but soon
rose to fame with a five-year job in the Dreamland ballroom and a
European tour. In 1954, at the age of 58 she decided to quit music
business and started a course in a nursing school with a falsified
highschool diploma and a falsified age (some 15 years off).  In 1977
when she was 83, the nursing home where she worked sent her off for
retirement and simple because she couldn't be inactive, she resumed
her music career until her death aged 89.  See
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLoPKQZRjOQ to see this 87 year old
lady singing some great double entendre blues.  And good.

Koen Kamphuijs

The Legends of the Rocking Dutchman: http://www.koenkamphuijs.nl/radio
A weekly radio show on the R&B of the forties and fifties