[78-L] Teddy Grace - interesting piece "pinched" from anothergroup

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 23 15:07:35 PDT 2013

[78-L] Teddy Grace - interesting piece "pinched" from another group
Nigel Burlinson burlinson at orange.fr
Thu Aug 22 13:36:03 PDT 2013

'Teddy Grace Once lost, now found'

<snip>

Thanks for the posting, Nigel, most interesting.

I 'found' Teddy Grace back around 1980/81 when co-producing the weekly jazz
show on local radio in Ipswich. We'd received a promo copy of a Jack
Teagarden compilation LP from MCA and decided to slot a track into the show.
Syd, my presenter, said "let's try "Love Me or Leave Me" so gave it a spin
prior to going on-air. We were both amazed, first to hear this 'Teddy'
wasn't male, then the vocal quality was better than we expected. I twice
wrote to MCA London for any info on TG and if further releases were pending.
Never received a reply so airmailed MCA in the US and, almost by return,
received a letter apologising that they had no info or even a photo but did
send a photo copy of her Decca contract and of some artist's studio cards.
These I still have but are not accessible at this time. When/if I can find
which box they are in out of the many boxes still unpacked since I moved
home nearly 10 years ago, I will upload them to my Dropbox cloud and post a
link here.

By about 1991 I had acquired almost all TG's 78s via US auction wins and it
was about this time or the following year, and I cannot recall how it came
about, I was in correspondence with David McCain who kindly supplied a
cassette of some of the tracks I didn't have.
~~
John D
Suffolk, UK