[78-L] John Lewis query OT

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Aug 17 03:14:13 PDT 2013

I was playing a friend "Body and Soul"--a long feature for Paul
Gonsalves, amongst other on my copy of "The Wonderful World of Jazz" on
Rhino CD 7567-90972-2.

He used to own the LP, and said that the balance was completely
different on the CD--Lewis is well recessed in the mix, whereas the LP
had him well forward and playing what were virtually duets with the
soloists. He can't remember whether his LP was mono or stereo. Atlantic
occasionally had problems with balance between mono and stereo issues.
For instance, on the stereo versions of the MJQ's "Fontessa" and
"Thelonious Monk and the Jazz Messengers" the bass is barely audible.

Does anyone have a version of the Lewis where the balance is as I describe?

      Julian Vein