[78-L] Singing behind and in front of the beat

Dan Van Landingham danvanlandingham at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 12 15:52:29 PDT 2013

I had one 78 by Al Bowlly:a Bluebird recording of "Sweet Stranger" I found at a juke box/pinball machine repair shop in Coos Bay,Oregon back in 1994.The record dated from 1938:it was one of those dark blue Bluebirds with the staff across the label with the bass and treble clefs opposite each other.The record was by "Al Bowlly and his Orchestra":I didn't know Bowlly even had his own band.I never heard George T. Simon mention him having one and that was where I got most of my information on him.I knew of him by way of his singing with Ray Noble in 1935 when Glenn Miller put Noble's American band together for him.I have recordings of that band on RCA Camden.