[78-L] Singing behind and in front of the beat

John Wright vintage at jabw.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 12 10:54:18 PDT 2013

In Britain in the 1930s Al Bowlly was the only male singer who did it
regularly and effectively, though I suppose also Denny Dennis but I'd have
to listen for examples.

As for UK ladies I'd have to listen to be sure but I think Evelyn Dall
(American in Britain) who sang with Ambrose, could do it, and Mary Lee who
sang with Roy Fox, Ella Logan who later worked in US, and some of the 1940s
swing singers e.g. Beryl Davis.

John Wright