[78-L] Adios, Eydie

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 06:31:08 PDT 2013

Eydie as a Sephardic Jew, and spoke Spanish fluently. She was a big
star in Latin America.

She was a dear, sweet, very talented lady. She was never the same when
her son died much too young, part of the reason she retired when she
did. Steve was very protective of her.

Former Tommy Dorsey manager Tino Barzie once told me that Eydie was a
strong contender for female singer with Tommy Dorsey, ca. 1952. But
Dorsey had a big problem with anyone who played behind the beat (the
musicians used to joke about this), and the choice was either Eydie or
Lynn Roberts. Tino told me that Eydie sang slightly behind the beat,
whereas Lynn was right on top of it, and for Dorsey, she turned out to
be the better choice.

Jeff Sultanof