[78-L] A Polka for Albinos

Steve Shapiro steveshapiro1 at juno.com
Sat Aug 10 06:51:09 PDT 2013

I suspect that people liked this record for magic of hearing the clear sound of the bells and the xylophone reproduced on their acoustical machines.

78-l members who are still missing this record in their collection can hear and enjoy Columbia E4060 for themselves here:

http://dismuke.org/blog/?p=740  (advt and streaming audio)

Cleaner mp3s here:

 http://archive.org/details/NavalCadetsMarch

http://archive.org/details/AlbinosPolka

The "Mid-Month List" ad was run in various newspapers in January 1919.  A year later, on leap year's day, Columbia marketed E4060 as an exotic foreign novelty record:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1144&dat=19200229&id=6LcaAAAAIBAJ&sjid=lUkEAAAAIBAJ&pg=2182,4604255

Note that 23977 Naval Cadets March is listed as bell solo with British band acc, thus explaining the 23977 mx from English Columbia.

E4060 was also marketed in Columbia's educational catalogue.  Nice to know that Columbia was marketing authentic ethnic music to a wide audience mass market in the United States.  Perhaps one might find more about how this record was promoted in a Columbia monthly supplement from 1921 or in Talking Machine Monthly.

These days, recorded sound reproduction is so universal that the magic is gone./steve