[78-L] A Polka for Albinos

Steve Shapiro steveshapiro1 at juno.com
Thu Aug 8 11:12:56 PDT 2013

Dear Uncle Dave,

84229 would appear to be recorded about July 1918 in New York.
23977 suggests an earlier recording, possible not US.

What is it about this record that brings you to cherish three or four copies?  Do you display them on different windups?/steve

David Lewis     uncledavelewis at hotmail.com        wrote:
Thu Aug  8 07:11:01 PDT 2013

Always been curious about this very common green Columbia; I think I'm on copy three or four of it.
Certain copies are additionally marked "NOVELTY RECORD" in large black letters.

Columbia E 4060

Bell Solo
(23977) Naval Cadets March
Xylophone Solo
(84229) Albinos Polka

Obviously these are widely differing matrices: anyone know of the date(s)? Dismuke found it in a January
1919 catalog, and I see it in an Educational catalog from 1920. Who are these percussionists, and why is
it in the foreign series? Columbia's main percussionists at the time were Howard Kopp and GeorgeHamilton Green. Some copies of 84229 read "Albinos Polka No. 2."

Uncle Dave Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com