[78-L] Gene Autry Okeh set

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Aug 6 19:20:47 PDT 2013

And Jack, while you are at it, can you get out your copy Conqueror set
5987 Ballads of the West Sung by Gene Autry which I seem to remember was
the confirmation of the four Conqueror records in the set.  I am missing
one of them and didn't print out our discussion at the time.  The three
discs I have are 8629, 8968, and 9388.

I haven't been able to dig up an OKeh catalog which lists the disc
numbers, but I do have the June 1941 Columbia/OKeh popular supplement
which shows K1 for the first time.  During those times they had a
recording artist "narrate" the supplements, and that month it was
Hiorace Heidt.  Here is how he describes K-1 (not knowing that there had
been two(?) Conqueror Autry albums in prior years: "This is Gene's first
album and it's a corker.  You'll enjoy, as I did, this collection of
Gene's most popular Western songs, including 'Old Buckaroo Goodbye' and
'The Last Roundup'."

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com